I noticed today (all of a sudden and four days after I resumed blogging) that my blog was broken – none of my content was showing up. I suspected it had something to do with one of the plugins, as I had had a similar issue when I was first setting up the blog. So I played around with the plugins and found that one was outputting this error message:
Warning: preg\_replace\_callback(): Unknown modifier '|'
Knowing very little about PHP and trusting the good net citizens out in the world (well, those on the web at least), I did a quick Google search for the error string and found some interesting results in Google’s cache. Expecting to quickly find that an upgrade to PHP caused an issue with the Markdown plugin in WordPress (which was the issue and had been fixed in a newer version of Markdown), I instead found that a lot of people were having the same problem I had, but no one wanted to discuss it.